My Multi-Passionate Life
I’m what you call a ‘multi-passionate’ or a ‘scanner’. In other words, I have a multiplicity of interests and find everything interesting. Every day is a multi-sensory experience that inspires me to enjoy life.
Not everyone is a scanner. I actually thought there was something wrong with me until I read Barbara Sher’s book REFUSE TO CHOOSE! How to use all of your interests, passions, and hobbies to create the life and career of your dreams.
In her book, Barbara outlines 11 types of scanners: cyclical scanner, double agent, Sybil, plate spinner, sequential scanner, serial specialist, serial master, Jack-of-all-trades, wanderer, sampler or high-speed indecisive. The book is loaded with practical information so you can make positive life changes, confident decisions and be happy with your true self.
True Self is Magic
The Great Selfini
Look within. Discover.
Be brave. Do it differently.
Live consciously. Share your gifts.
Learn. Teach. Love. Support. Challenge.
Dream. Desire. Inspire. Achieve. Succeed.
Wonder. Wander. Life is an adventure.
Sacred Universal energy is within all of us.
We are all part of something greater than ourselves.
I get hyper-focused sometimes when getting into something new and exciting – if only for a few hours, weeks or months. Some things will always hold my attention to some degree, but I never feel the need to become an expert in any one area. I’m a Jack of all trades and master of none and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
I love facts and fantasy. I like piecing facts together to come up with new ideas and realisations. Hybrid thinking excites me. I love sci-fi, future studies, technology and other-worldly concepts. I embrace my inner geek and the thinking part of my being. From myth and magic to matter and metaphysics, I’m there with an open mind and an open heart.
I have a big imagination. I suspect being an only child before the Internet was invented may have played a big role. I’m easily amused and happily occupied. I love DIY projects, design and creative pursuits…and about a million other things.
I have been known to start things and never finish them but I don’t feel too guilty because this is who I am. I am a scanner and a multi-passionate and I love it! If I ever run out of things to start, I can simply go back to finishing some things.
Elements of a Happy Life
Here’s some of the ways I find happiness as a multi-passionate.
Mindset and Wisdom
- My mindset and decisions help me get through life in one piece – happy for my present, my past and my future. I crave intellectual stimulation and and seek tranquility to focus on mindfulness.
- Find serenity. Look for opportunities to find peace and calm in each day. With placid awareness comes emotional balance.
- Star gazing and looking at the moon in awe is always a powerful relaxant. Sunrises and sunsets too. Appreciate the beauty around you and take it in through all your senses (if appropriate).
- A healthy mind, body and spirit brings vitality and purpose. Activities like tai chi, meditation, aromatherapy and massage, stimulate and invigorate. Sensible food and drink choices and regular exercise are all important. I must admit I have let this one slide a bit over the years but I do intend to get back on the wagon.
Community spirit is strengthened by charitable acts in the form of philanthropy – when people give freely to others. Good deeds include:
- pledging and gifting possessions such as money
- volunteering your time to help others or the environment
- sponsoring an overseas or interstate guest
- sharing your knowledge with those who can benefit from your experience
Manifest Your Ideal Lifestyle
- Napoleon Hill’s famous book ‘Think and Grow Rich’ and Rhonda Byrne’s ‘The Secret’ talk about the Law of Attraction and the concept of ‘thoughts are things’.
- Basically, our brains become magnetised with the dominating thoughts which we hold in our minds. These ‘magnets’ attract to us the forces, the people and circumstances of life which harmonise with the nature of our dominating thoughts.
- It’s like when you’re pregnant – you see other pregnant people everywhere. Or when you are deciding on what make and model of car to buy – you look at cars differently, noticing features that you like or dislike. Prior to making a conscious decision to have a baby or buy a car, these things wouldn’t ordinarily be obvious to you. If you focus on a goal of any kind and purposely put mental, emotional and physical energy towards it – it will be attracted to you.
- These books (and many others) made me believe that I could achieve great things just by having the right mindset and feeling passion for my dreams.
- I have always managed to achieve my important goals and get through tough times. I have been blessed with a lot of luck. I have also faced many challenging situations. Overall, I am a firm believer that I have the ability to, and actually do, manifest my ideal lifestyle.
Live Harmoniously with the Environment
- Our surroundings establish the atmosphere in which we live. I respect the natural environment, forged by the Earth and the elements. I appreciate the built environment, created by human kind.
- Practices such as Feng Shui balance the natural environment with the five elements of air, water, wood, earth and metal, with our built environment.
- Eco-friendly living and sustainable living are essential for future generations and the protection of the animal kingdom.
Freedom and Pleasure
- This is the fun bit. After we have soothed ourselves emotionally, physically, intellectually and spiritually, taken care of our fellow humans, the environment and believed we can have all that we want – we must take the time to simply be.
- Freedom and pleasure is about ‘me time’, family time, and time to do anything – or nothing at all. Lots or a little activity, adventure, extra-curricular pursuits. Grab a good book or cuddle up on the couch with your beloved in front of a roaring fire.
- Of course, remember, everything in moderation. Sometimes doing less – is being more.
Desire, Direction and Destiny
- Do you follow the norm or make your own way? Do you look for signs to show you are on the right path in life? Do you trust your intuition to guide you to start or stop doing things?
- You know those goat-tracks you see through grass and dirt (see photo above) where people walk even though there’s a perfectly good path? They’re known as ‘desire lines.’ The worn path shows where people walk because that’s where they want to be. Drawn by the thought of a quicker route, guided by a supernatural force or just because.
- I walk the path of a modern woman. I aim to live holistically amongst a chaotic world. I strive to be independent, nurturing, creative while embracing my unique gifts.
- I am a seeker of the way with broad interests, including: new age philosophy, metaphysics and spirituality, science and technology, history and futures studies, positive psychology and the human condition.
- I speak my mind – usually with the best of intentions – knowing that sometimes things have to get worse before they get better or be shown to be broken before they get fixed.
Laugh and Cry
- I laugh (and cry) often and strive to seek the lessons and appreciate the moments of bliss that are offered to me. I laugh at myself more than I laugh at others. There’s always a bright side of life (aka the flip-side). I am easily amused but not easily impressed.
- Movies, TV adverts and other people’s stories often bring tears to my eyes. I am a joyful crier as well. Expressions of love overflow my heart and my tear ducts.
- I have a dark side (because I’m human). I’ve experienced some fairly extreme highs and lows in my life (personally and as a result of my employment).
- I’ve seen death, given birth (four times) and attempted to cope with everything in between – with and without the help of others. I believe that there can’t be light without darkness or love without the contrast of loneliness or loss.
Embrace Change and Possibilities
- I love change, feel comfortable with chaos and am a bit of an intellectual hybrid between Houdini and Edward de Bono. I love to think and imagine the possibilities of a situation – creatively and with a view to excitement.
- I enjoy challenging the status quo and critically and optimistically assessing a situation to prepare for the worst while hoping for the best.
- I usually have multiple escape plans ready – just in case I’m triggered by my ‘three strikes rule’. I trust my intuition to know when to leave a bad situation before it gets worse – or when to stay as I know it will get better.
- Demonstrating respect for yourself and others is one of my core values.
- I actively seek the value an individual’s unique contributions. Their skills, experience, values and views – whether helpful or confrontational – can help challenge and shape my perspectives.
- Personalities are like fingerprints. I don’t think there is another one quite like yours or mine. We all leave our unique mark and make an impact on the lives of others, that of Mother Earth and within the Universal Logos.
- I am fully aware of my mortal existence and I have chosen to live life in the present and not too distant future. I have big dreams, medium goals and reasonable action plans for taking responsibility for my own happiness and that of my inner circle of loved ones.
- My belief system is open and flexible. I often integrate ideas and concepts from various schools of thought into my knowledge and consideration bank.
It is my intention that I:
Experience a harmonious lifestyle
Experience health and energy that leads me to creative adventures
Be well provided for – that shelter and food and all of the things that I need to experience life – be given to me in great abundance
And that I pass this great abundance on and share it with others.
Be Brave and Grateful
- In personal, family, work and business situations: I’ve pushed boundaries, been lucky or learned the hard way and encouraged change and continuous improvement.
- Change your life. Escape the ordinary. For example, move overseas.
- Dare to do things differently. Dare yourself to follow your dreams and desires and get things done. My success mantra is: DARE TO DONE.
- I value my existence each and every day and thank the Higher Power for providing me with the opportunities I have in this lifetime to live consciously.
- Giving back is a great way to show gratitude for what the Universe provides. My gifts to the world and my loved ones have emerged from more than four decades of living life to its fullest.
If you are a multi-passionate or know someone who is – please share your tips (or challenges) to living a happy life in the comments below.